Friday, February 14, 2014

Horrocons Part I - Apeface

www.botchthecrab.com
Here we are at yet another purchase made thanks to the influence of a fellow collector!  A few months ago, Heroic_Decepticon did a post about his MIB Japanese Apeface and Snapdragon.  I've been dreaming about getting Apeface since I was in the fifth grade, but I never got around to pulling the trigger.  I'm sad like that.  After looking at HD's pics, I felt motivated enough to finally pull the trigger.

My desire for Apeface started waaaay back in the 5th grade when I was living in Niagara Falls, New York.  The Headmasters had just been released, but I only owned Scorponok and later Fortress Maximus.  Yeah, poor, pitiful me.  At any rate, it was well known among my classmates that I was still into Transformers...and I was the only one. The rest of them were busy talking about Debbie Gibson or Tiffany or whatever else was popular back then, but I was still buying Transformers.  Just so it's clear, I had already discovered Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden by this point, so musically, I was fine.  At any rate, it turned out that there was one fellow Transformer fan in my class - a girl named Mary (I actually want to say that her name was Hillary, but that was a long time ago.).  I don't know if any of you have actually been to Niagara Falls, but it's mostly farm land.  And Mary would constantly invite me over to her house so I could help her slaughter chickens.  Seriously.  Anyway, one day Mary had a present for me - Spasma, Apeface's head!  Mary told me that she wanted me to have him.  I kept Spasma all the way until 2012 when I finally sold him at a nice price to purchase another figure.  So for 26 years, I only had Apeface's head.  Besides, I've had this image floating in my head for far too long:
Seriously, I love Andy Wildman
 Needing a break from eBay, I decided to check out alternate sources for Apeface.  I decided to go with Transformerland, a company I had dealt with before, albeit a number of years ago.  What I like about Transformerland is that they will negotiate, even if they don't budge as much as I like.  Still, a negotiation is a negotiation.  At any rate, I negotiated a bit and got what I felt was a fair price for a complete Apeface with paperwork.  I'll get to the paperwork later.

Apeface transforms into a Cybertronic jet.  The body of the jet is fairly wide-bodied.  Holding the jet, it's a lot heavier than I imagined it would be.  The canopy of the jet opens so Spasma can sit inside.

Jet mode is serviceable enough, but as you can tell looking at the pictures, there is a lot of kibble.  His robot mode arms and fists are plainly visible.  As are the ape mode's feet.  Still, it does look like a jet.

I know I dropped my contact around here...
It was pretty difficult for me to get decent shots of ol' Apeface in his gorilla mode.  Here he is on all fours.  Regardless of the difficulty getting a good shot, this is my favorite mode, by far.  Everyone loves monkeys.  And gorillas.
Here's El gorila invencible standing on his rear haunches, striking at a foe.  My understanding that there are people that make an extension just for the likes of Apeface that will allow for a better overall look of the figure when attaching the head.  I'll have to look into that.
And finally, we have a profile view of Apeface's gorilla mode.  As you can see, there is some kibble hanging off the back there.  Again, the robot mode arms are quite visible.
For those of you that didn't know, Apeface is a triple changer.  So now that I've covered jet and ape mode, we now go into robot mode.  I'm not too fond of this mode, truth be told and it come down to the torso.  The hollowness of the outer-most midsection is just off-putting.  The colors are pretty great, however.  I do have a question that I'm hoping someone would answer for me: should the back kibble look like this?
I feel as though it should stay up better.  The only reason mine looks like this right now is because I repositioned the treads a bit.  Should it be that loose?

As I mentioned earlier, this particular figure came with his paperwork.
In the above picture, we have the catalog, the S.T.A.R.S pack-in flyer, his instructions, tech spec decoder, and what's that?  A sheet of decals that haven't been applied?  But my Apeface has his decals applied already!  That means that I could completely re-do the decals currently on Apeface since I don't really like their placement, or I could part with them.  I have no idea what the value of unapplied decals are, but I know that there are people out there that look for them.  Most likely, I'll just keep them, hoarder that I am.

So 26 years of procrastination have finally borne fruit.  Am I pleased with myself?  You bet.  Is Apeface pretty freaking awesome?  You know it.  Up next, another entry in my ever-expanding collection!

5 comments:

  1. The "backpack" on mine is the same way unfortunately. I never owned him as a kid either, but I did have Snapdragon. Even after acquiring Ape face, Snapdragon remains my favorite Horrorcon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention Snapdragon...

      brr-icy gave me a fix on the backpack, now I just need to slow down enough to try it.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, I love the Horrorcons. Apeface has some very memorable moments in the Marvel comic. Just the other day I read the one - I think it was #48 or so - where he clubs Rampage with his own severed arm.
    The fact that all three of his modes are sort of kibbly and awkward just makes me like him more, somehow.
    However, I don't have either of them. It is kind of unfortunate that they seem to frequently be in the $150-$250 range for loose complete samples, which puts them lower on my G1 priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost used that pic! Apeface's price definitely put him at a lower priority for me, but I finally broke down and just had to have him.

      Delete
  3. Love Apeface, one of my favourite characters. Thanks for the call-out dude, appreciate it. I actually responded about the backpack via FB, but yeah, floppy backpacks are common in 99% of the Apefaces I have seen.

    I think the Horrocons are fantastic "Triple-Changers" cum Headmasters, with very nice colour schemes.

    ReplyDelete